There are seven kinds of people in the world who are like objects that fall into water:
- Some having sunk into the water remain there;
- Others having risen, sink again;
- Some, having risen does not sink again;
- Others having risen will look around and see clearly,
- Some have risen up and crossed over,
- Others have risen up, crossed over, and gained firm foothold,
- Some have crossed over and gone beyond, standing on high ground.
Similarly, some having fallen into unwholesomeness never escape therefrom, others are prone to weakness but often check themselves, etc. A.iv.11‑13.