Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Meditation advice
Venerable Bhikkhu Pesala.

Can you please give me some advice on my meditation? 

I have been meditating for the past 24 years and I am from Sri Lanka. Here in Sri Lanka, the meditation teachers mainly follow the Mahasi Method, which I have been practising , but I also do a bit of samatha as well.

I won't go to describe all that I have experienced as I feel it will be too long. Hence I will write about what has been happening these past few years. 

I have experienced, that what I see  ( the object) is vibrating and also the eye  is vibrating.  Hearing also breaks up and then I feel a vibration in the ear drum. As to the nose and smells, some times I can smell things that are very subtle , but some times I don't smell at all. As to the taste, at times it is there and at times, it's not there. 

When I meditate now, I find that all the sensations have ceased and there is only a state of knowing. 

Venerable Sir, I am suffering from a connective tissue disorder which does cause a lot of pain. When I go on retreat, I find that the pain comes up, but all the teachers here, tell me not to mentally note the pain as I will be just stuck there, hence to stick with the breath. 

Bhante, I have read the book Dhamma therapy where meditators were cured of their disease. My question is, did they observed the painful sensations or did they stick to the breath. Should I watch the painful sensations at this stage of my meditation, or should I simply watch the breath? 

My teacher has told me as this is due to a sickness, if I go to watch it, then I will be stuck there and not progress,   hence to ignore it and stay on the breath.

Can you please advice me  on what I should do.

Thanking you in advance.

With metta
If you read the various case histories from Dhamma Therapy Revisited the usual advice seems to be keep on noting the painful sensations until they break up.

My meditation teacher, Chanmyay Sayādaw, said that when pain comes we should welcome it as it is our best friend. By penetrating painful sensations we can gain insight into the three characteristics: Impermanence (anicca), suffering or unsatisfactoriness (dukkha), and not-self (anatta) which also means the characteristic of not obeying our wish or command.

However much you want the pain to go away, it does not obey your wish or command, so it not yours. It arises dependent on conditions, and will cease when the conditions cease.

Seeing the objects as vibrating or intermittent means the characteristic of impermanence.

Only if the pain become unbearable and oppressive it is OK to do some samatha meditation such as loving-kindness or recollection of the Buddha to give the mind some relief, before resuming the method of insight though bare attention to the phenomena.
NewsDPPN  • Fonts • MirrorCST4 Tipitaka
Thank you Venerable Sir for clarifying this.

With metta