Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Bhikkhu Pesala Became a Buddhist
My first contact with Buddhism came through meeting two meditators who had practised the U Ba Khin meditation method with Sri Goenka in India. After an intensive ten-day retreat with Mr John Coleman, the author of »» “A Quiet Mind,” I resolved to dedicate my life to the practice of insight meditation .

In 1976 I moved to Birmingham as the lay attendant of Sayādaw U Rewata Dhamma. For the next three years I drove the Sayādaw all over the country to visit his supporters and helped with cooking for vipassanā retreats and other daily chores. I studied the Visuddhimagga Sīlakkhandha and Abhidhammatthasaṅgaha with the Sayādaw.

I ordained in 1979 with Venerable Mahāsi Sayādaw as my preceptor, and Chanmyay Sayādaw U Janaka as the examiner. Later the same year, I went to practise intensive meditation for six months at Mahāsi Yeikthā in Rangoon. Altogether, I have been to Burma four times to practise meditation under senior disciples of Mahāsi Sayādaw, especially Chanmyay Sayādaw U Janaka.

Since 1988 I have been editing Buddhist publications by various authors as well as my own. I don't translate them from Pali or Burmese, but only edit existing publications to make them more accessible. 

The Association for Insight Meditation was set up in 1995 with the help of Christine Fitzmaurice and David Glendinning. Our first printed publication was The Questions of Sakka, a discourse by the Venerable Mahāsi Sayādaw. 

I no longer print any publications due to the wide availability of Internet access, and the high cost of printing. I run free meditation classes and retreats in East London.
NewsDPPN  • Fonts • MirrorCST4 Tipitaka